Thursday, 15 November 2012

Pimpin' my Resume Geek-Style

Applying for internships is taxing and after all the effort put into making my resume with fancy fonts and nice borders, I find that many companies want a "text-only" version of my resume!

Though I think that it makes it easy for them to use keyword search with such a resume, I was still a bit unsure about submitting a direct copy-paste of my resume which looks extremely horrible.



There comes a point in one's life when you either take the hard way and put in a large amount of effort and dedication to doing something again and again or there is the easy, lazy way reserved for Computer Scientists.

No surprises which one I picked!

The main problem with making a text resume is that I would now have to keep two resumes synchronized every time I made a change which is tooo much of work for me.

Thus, I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands and find a decent working solution for this.

Parsing a *.doc file and extracting it to make a text-only one wouldn't take much time in Python but I was sure that I can do better than that.

Latex


Enter the tool of Mathematicians and Geeks alike - Latex!

It seemed quite straightforward for a Vim-lover to switch his complete resume to a text-based version and have that compile to two different copies. This was something I wanted to do for a long time and finally found a good enough justification to do so.

Now, I really didn't have to worry about the ASCII one looking pretty but I didn't want to compromise on the PDF version! Also, till now I was using the Microsoft Word Markup and Review for a sort-of "Version Control" but thought that its time to start pushing my resume to github like most of my other digital possessions.

And so, after quite a bit of searching around, I finally found the best Latex resume package to be moderncv with a lot of help from this "paper".

A great help in doing that was this blog post which got me started with moderncv.

I didn't want it to vary too greatly in formatting from my resume since I find that the style is space efficient and allows a lot to be packed in. Thankfully, the new version of moderncv comes with the "banking" style which is extremely close to my original resume :-)

The most painful part was redefining the banking theme to suit my needs which I finally figured out by copying the relevant *.cls and *.sty files to the same directory as my TEX file and making modifications thereafter.

This time I added my own "Paper Reports" section to show the different things I have worked on in NUS and it taught me a way to link to files directly in github so that you can download them instead of checking out the repo.

Text


Finally, it came to the part of generating the Plain Text Resume and this was the part which involved a lot of brute-force. After several tests with utilities such as detex, htlatex, etc, I finalized on using catdvi to convert a latex generated dvi file into text and then use sed to fix the formatting which was quite easy to do with help from this guy.

As always, I love the formatting freedom that Latex offers compared to other document processors but like all things, it came with a learning curve which isn't flat but more like a long term investment.

I am quite happy with the result of the pdf and the text file and hope this effort will last a lifetime!

V